Frankie Maness was appointed as City Manager on December 4, 2012, and became Graham’s sixth City Manager since 1953. Prior to his appointment as City Manager, Mr. Maness served the citizens of Graham as Assistant City Manager beginning in October 2005. He is a graduate from Western Carolina University where he earned both his Bachelor’s Degree and Master’s Degree. As chief administrator of the City, Mr. Maness is responsible to the City Council for administering all municipal affairs placed in his charge by them and has the following powers and duties:
- He shall appoint and suspend or remove all city officers and employees not elected by the people, and whose appointment or removal is not otherwise provided for by law, except the City Attorney, in accordance with such general personnel rules, regulations, policies, or ordinances as the council may adopt.
- He shall direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices, and agencies of the City, subject to the general direction and control of the Council, except as otherwise provided by law.
- He shall attend all meetings of the Council and recommend any measures that he deems expedient.
- He shall see that all laws of the State, the City Charter, and the ordinances, resolutions, and regulations of the Council are faithfully executed within the City.
- He shall prepare and submit the annual budget and capital program to the Council.
- He shall annually submit to the Council and make available to the public a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the City as of the end of the fiscal year.
- He shall make any other reports that the Council may require concerning the operations of City departments, offices, and agencies subject to his direction and control.
- He shall perform any other duties that may be required or authorized by the Council