Water / Sewer

City of Graham Water & Sewer Billing

201 South Main Street
PO Drawer 357
Graham, NC 27253

(336) 570-6700
(336) 570-6703 (fax)
(336) 570-6711 (after hours)

The City of Graham operates a combined enterprise fund for Water and Sewer. Revenues from Water and Sewer charges are used to support the treatment and distribution of water and the collection and treatment of wastewater. Below are some frequently asked questions regarding water and sewer billing and service.

How do I establish water and sewer service?

To establish an account, a customer must either call the City of Graham Water and Sewer Billing Department at (336) 570-6700 for information or complete a water service application at City Hall. Tenant and Commercial accounts are required to pay a deposit before service can be established.

Customers seeking a new connection or tap should contact the City of Graham Planning Department at (336) 570-6705 to verify the availability of the desired service and any applicable fees.

How often will I receive a bill?

Effective May 2008, all utility customers will receive their bills on a monthly basis.

When are Water and Sewer bills due?

Bills are due by the 18th of the month. Accounts that are not paid by the 18th will receive a late fee equal to 2% of the outstanding balance (minimum charge: $5.00) and a delinquent notice will be issued.

When will my water be disconnected for nonpayment?

After the 28th of each month, any unpaid account is subject to disconnection on the next business day for delinquent balances of more than $5.00. If the 28th falls on the weekend or holiday, disconnections will be scheduled for the next business day.

An additional nonpayment fee of $40.00 is automatically added to the account. This fee is charged when the customer’s account is scheduled for disconnection, regardless of whether or not the service is actually disconnected.


What are my payment options?

The City of Graham will accept payment in the form of cash, single-party check, credit/debit card, or money order.

Payments may be made in person at the City Hall during normal business hours, online, by phone (1-888-626-8426), by bank draft or by mail. A payment drop box is located just inside the main entrance to City Hall, 201 South Main Street. Payments placed in the drop box after 5 p.m. will be considered next-day payments.

Can I pay online?

The City will accept online credit card and debit card payments through the City’s Online Bill Payment service. Additionally, customers may manage their account and update contact information. You can access Online Bill Pay by clicking here. Users will be required to create a log in account before payment may be made.

When will my payment be posted to my account through the City’s Online Bill Pay?

Payments received through Online Bill Pay are credited to a customer’s account immediately just as if payment was recieved over the counter.

I’m having trouble establishing a log in account, who can I contact?

You may contact Customer Service at (336) 570-6700 or refer to the “Getting Started Guide” for assistance.

Does the City of Graham offer bank draft for Water and Sewer bills?

Yes, the City does offer bank draft for Water and Sewer accounts. A signed bank draft application and a voided check are needed to initiate bank drafts.

What other charges appear on my bill?

Many customers will see charges on their bill for solid waste collection, recycling, and stormwater.

How are my charges calculated?

Both Water and Sewer charges are calculated based on a customer’s metered water consumption. You can determine your consumption in gallons by subtracting the prior reading on your bill from the current reading.

All active accounts, regardless of consumption, receive a minimum charge that covers the first 1,000 gallons of consumption.100W_LogoV2

How are water meters read?

Most meters in the City are now read “off site”. “Off site” means that the meter reader is not required to physically visit the meter to take a reading; rather, the reading is gathered electronically by a handheld computer. In most cases the meter reader will simply drive down the street or a nearby street to gather the readings.

What is the device connected to my meter?

All meters that are read electronically have an Electronic Reading Transmitter (ERT). Most ERTs are positioned under the meter lid with the exception of those mounted to the top of lids to improve reception.

What if the ERT is damaged or disconnected?

Damaging or disconnecting an ERT will not prevent the City from collecting a reading. If an ERT is damaged or disconnected, the customer may be responsible for the damages or assessed a tampering penalty.

Can the City detect if I have a leak?

Most meters throughout the City and all new meters that are installed have leak indicators on them that help determine if a leak is ongoing. However, even though meter leak indicators may be able to determine if a leak is present, they are unable to pinpoint the location of a leak. A customer should contact a licensed plumber in the event a leak is suspected.