The City Manager, Frankie Maness, serves as the chief executive officer for the City of Graham and is assisted by Assistant City Manger, Aaron Holland. The City of Graham operates under a council-manager form of government. The Mayor and the Council are responsible for making policy decisions for the City. The City Manager is responsible for carrying out those decisions, providing leadership to staff and overseeing daily operations of City Government.
Mr. Maness began his tenure as Graham’s City Manger on December 4, 2012. Mr. Maness held the position of Assistant City Manager for Graham 2005-2012. Prior to his leadership in Graham Mr. Maness worked…
- as the Town Manager for the Town of Warsaw (2000 – 2005)
- and fulfilled an internship with the Town of Troy (Spring of 2000 – Fall of 2000)
He received his Master’s Degree in Public Affairs from Western Carolina University where he also received his Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Criminal Justice.
Roles & Responsibilities
As chief administrator of the City of Graham, Mr. Maness is responsible to the City Council for administering all municipal affairs placed in his charge by them and has the following powers and duties:
- He shall appoint and suspend or remove all city officers and employees not elected by the people, and whose appointment or removal is not otherwise provided for by law, except the City Attorney, in accordance with such general personnel rules, regulations, policies, or ordinances as the council may adopt.
- He shall direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices, and agencies of the City, subject to the general direction and control of the Council, except as otherwise provided by law.
- He shall attend all meetings of the Council and recommend any measures that he deems expedient.He shall see that all laws of the State, the City Charter, and the ordinances, resolutions, and regulations of the Council are faithfully executed within the City.
- He shall prepare and submit the annual budget and capital program to the Council.
- He shall annually submit to the Council and make available to the public a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the City as of the end of the fiscal year.
- He shall make any other reports that the Council may require concerning the operations of City departments, offices, and agencies subject to his direction and control.
- He shall perform any other duties that may be required or authorized by the Council.
Assistant City Manger
The Assistant City Manger, Aaron Holland, holds the critical leadership position supporting the City Manager, Frankie Maness, in running the city and is a link to city staff. Support from Mr. Holland shapes all aspects of developing programs and policies, directing operations, managing growth and development, and assisting in developing and managing the city’s budget.
Mr. Holland has over 15 years of public sector experience beginning with his role as a Right-of-Way Acquisition Agent with NCDOT. He served as City Planner for the City of Graham (2004-2007) and Planning Director for the City of Roxboro/Person County prior to accepting the role of Assistant City Manager in 2015.
He earned his Bachelor of Science from North Carolina State University in Science & Technology Studies with a concentration in Industrial Engineering Management. He also received his Master’s Degree in Applied Geography & Urban Planning from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
As Assistant Manager, Mr. Holland plans, directs, and organizes city operations:
- Assists in preparing city ordinances for approval
- Assists in preparing and implementing city policy
- Develops short and long range goals
- Advises city manager and participates in planning for current and future city needs
- Manages capital improvement projects, prepares capital improvement grants, completes required reporting
The City Clerk, Darcy Sperry, is the custodian of all proceedings of the City Council and appointed boards and commissions. Additionally, the City Clerk processes ordinances and resolutions for filing, provides information to the public, manages all public records requests, directs the retention for all City records and engages in research projects.
Ms. Sperry began her municipal career with the City of Graham in 2011 as the Zoning Enforcement Officer. In 2015 she advanced to the position of City Clerk.
She received her Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the State University of New York College at Oswego in 1988. She obtained her Zoning Official Certification in April 2013. She is a member of the North Carolina Association of Municipal Clerks.
Roles & Responsibilities
As City Clerk, Ms. Sperry performs a variety of administrative tasks for the city manager and city council as well as performs technical human resources functions.
- Executes legal documents by affixing the proper signatures of city officials and attesting to compliance with general statues and local ordinances
- Records and transcribes city council meeting minutes and other actions of the council
- Serves as liaison between the city and the public with respect to such matters as complaints, requests, and suggestions
Graham City Attorneys
The Attorney’s office represents City departments, officials and employees on matters involving City business; prepares and reviews contracts, ordinances and resolutions. Mr. Robert (Bob) M. Ward and Mr. J. Bryan Coleman have served as the City’s legal advisors since March 2019.
Robert (Bob) M. Ward
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill A.B. Political Science 1967 (Phi Beta Kappa)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill J.D. Juris Doctorate 1970
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill M.P.A. Master of Public Administration 1984
- North Carolina State University, Ed. D Doctorate of Education 1999 (Phi Kappa Phi)
J. Bryan Coleman
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill B.A. Industrial Relations 1987
- North Carolina Central University J.D. Juris Doctorate 1993
Insert the contact us link here
Welcome to Graham North Carolina
Welcome to the City of Graham, North Carolina. Our website is designed so that everyone can obtain information about our community, services, and projects. We’ve tried to make it easy to find out what’s going on in the City from a development, economic, or events perspective. There are links for new residents, prospective business owners, or folks just looking to find out what’s going on.
Graham has parks spread throughout the City with different amenities, you can find out more about them here. Our Fire and Police Departments help maintain the wonderful quality of life we’ve come to appreciate! Our Public Works Department can be reached here, and helps keep our city clean and our roads and sidewalks safe. Most importantly, our water and sewer service information can be found here, and allow us to efficiently serve our residents with such a great resource!
If you are new to the area, thinking of relocating to Graham as either a homeowner or business owner, or just looking to get more information about Graham, please contact us. Once again, thank you for vising the City of Graham’s website.
City Council has regular meetings every second Tuesday of the month.
You can reach the City of Graham’s Inspections Department by calling 336.570.6705.