About Volunteering


Interested in local issues? Serving on a board and/or commission is an opportunity to collaborate with local government and to help shape decisions that impact our community. The mission, responsibilities, and time commitments for each board or commission varies. 

There are positions available on City of Graham boards and commissions as well as seats on Alamance County boards or commissions reserved for Graham residents or those living in Graham’s Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ). The position you are applying for will determine whether the appointment will be made by the Graham City Council or by the Alamance County Commissioners.


The City of Graham is seeking volunteers to provide a fresh perspective on important local issues. 

The local government has various standing boards and commissions that advise the City Council on a wide range of issues. We are currently looking to fill vacancies on all boards and commissions.

Appointed members meet approximately once per month and are eligible to a 3-year term.


If you are interested in one of the City of Graham appointed positions click here to apply.   


Here’s what you give

    • Serve as an advocate for the City of Graham
    • Provide feedback to the City Council 
    • Ensure effective planning, monitoring, and strengthening of programs and services
    • Enhance the City of Graham’s public standing

And, what you get in return

    • An opportunity to shape the community
    • Networking opportunities
    • Make friends
    • Enhance your resume

No Experience Necessary.  Will provide training to ensure your success.

Graham Appointments

The City of Graham currently has eight active boards and commissions that are comprised of volunteers appointed by the City Council.  Members advise City Council on a wide variety of subjects by making recommendations on important policy matters. Most City boards and commissions have a requirement that members live in the City or in the Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ).  If you are interested in one of the City of Graham appointed positions click here to apply.   

Graham Boards & Commissions

Note: If you are seeking appointment to the Graham Planning Board & Board of Adjustment but live in Graham’s Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) you will need to apply with Alamance County. Your address may not always reflect whether you are a City of Graham resident. If you are unsure about your residences status you may wish to reference the City of Graham map or contact the City Clerk 336-570-6700 to inquire.

Alamance County Appointments

There are also Alamance County boards and commissions that residents of Graham or those living in Graham’s Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) may apply to serve on. If you are interested in one of these positions you will need to complete the Alamance County Application as volunteers for these positions are appointed by the Alamance County Commissioners. If you are not a resident of Graham but live in the Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) you may also be eligible to serve on the Graham Planning Board and Board of Adjustment but must apply through the County. Alamance County Boards & Commissions with seats for Graham residents include:
  • Alamance County Library Committee
  • Graham Planning Board & Board of Adjustments (ETJ residents)

Boards & Commissions Handbook

[Coming Soon]

Submit an application

If you are interested in one of the City of Graham appointed positions click here to apply.   


Contact the City Clerk, Darcy Sperry, for more details at 336-570-6700. We look forward to working with you!