Hikes with Hounds
Graham Recreation & Parks, Burlington Recreation & Parks, and Burlington Animal Services (BAS) have teamed up for the Hikes with Hounds program and are searching for volunteers. Volunteers take shelter dogs for a hike along one of Alamance County’s beautiful trails. This volunteer opportunity will offer an enrichment activity for some of Burlington Animal Services’ adoptable dogs to get away for a couple of hours to enjoy nature, socializing, and exercise. Hikes with Hounds will be offered one Friday each month at a hiking trail location at a Burlington or Graham park, or along the Haw River Trail. The Hikes with Hounds program began in the spring of 2015, receiving the 2016 North Carolina Recreation & Parks Association’s Innovative Program Award.
Volunteers must meet certain requirements including:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must be able to hike up to 4 miles at a moderate pace or on an uneven terrain
- Must complete a one-time Burlington Animal Services Volunteer Orientation Training prior to participating on a hike, now offered virtually, before becoming a trail dog walker.
- Registration forms with waivers and copy of ID must be submitted in advance
- Review the “Volunteer Procedures for Hikes“
- Volunteers must pre-register, no walk-ups
- Limit group size to 12 (plus up to 4 staff)
- A typical hike will include 2-5 dogs to be shared between volunteers
- Program will only run if there are enough suitable dogs at BAS to take on a hike
- Wear sturdy, closed-toed shoes, and bring water (bug spray & sunscreen are recommended)
- Volunteers bring their own water
- If you are sick or have been around someone who is sick, do NOT attend
- Masks are not required. Participants are welcome to wear masks if desired.
- Participants and staff are encouraged to wash or sanitize hands before and after hiking. Hand sanitizer will be available.
Adopt. Foster. Donate.
Burlington Animal Services (BAS) serves all of Alamance County. Learn how you can help by calling (336) 578-0343. View available pets online at www.BurlingtonNC.gov/pets.
For more information, please email us.