Hikes with Hounds
Graham Recreation & Parks, Burlington Recreation & Parks, and Burlington Animal Services (BAS) have teamed up for the Hikes with Hounds program and are searching for volunteers. Volunteers will take a shelter dog for a hike along one of Alamance County’s beautiful trails. This volunteer opportunity will offer an enrichment activity for some of Burlington Animal Services’ adoptable dogs to get away for a couple of hours to enjoy nature, socializing, and exercise. Hikes with Hounds will be offered one Friday each month at a hiking trail location at a Burlington or Graham park, or along the Haw River Trail. The Hikes with Hounds program began in the spring of 2015, receiving the 2016 North Carolina Recreation & Parks Association’s Innovative Program Award.
Volunteers must meet certain requirements including:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must be able to hike up to 4 miles at a moderate pace or on an uneven terrain
- Must attend volunteer orientation training before becoming a trail dog walker (Due to COVID-19, Volunteer Orientation Trainings have been suspended until further notice.)
- Registration form with waiver and copy of ID must be submitted in advance
- Limit group size to 10 (plus 4 staff)
- Volunteers must pre-register, no walk-ups.
- If you are sick or have been around someone who is sick, do NOT attend.
- If you are 65 years or older OR have underlying medical conditions we encourage you to NOT participate at this time.
- Volunteers and staff are required to wear masks during check-in and as the group gathers before/after the hike and any other time social distance cannot be maintained. Once hiking and social distanced on the trail, masks will not be required.
- Participants and staff are encouraged to wash or sanitize hands before and after hiking. Hand sanitizer will be available.
- Leashes will be assigned to each volunteer. Please don’t share leashes or equipment unless from the same household.
- Volunteers bring their own water.
- Only staff will handle water/bowls for dogs.
- Program will only run if there are enough suitable dogs at BAS to take on a hike.
Did you know you can help out Burlington Animal Services’ (BAS) four-legged friends during this time? Adopt. Foster. Donate. BAS serves all of Alamance County. Learn how you can help by calling (336) 578-0343 or email. View available pets online at www.BurlingtonNC.gov/pets.